2019-2020 Graduate Catalog 
    Jun 20, 2024  
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission to Graduate Studies

Park University’s graduate programs seek students with a record of academic achievement, involvement in the community and good character. No applicant will be denied admission on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or veteran’s status.

Admission to a graduate degree program at Park University is granted by the University. Each academic program may establish, with proper approvals, admission standards higher than the minimum standards established by the University, but no applicant who fails to meet the minimum standards may be admitted for Graduate Studies at Park University. Any exception to this policy must be approved by the dean of the college to which the student has applied, and such exception will be made only under rare circumstances, on the basis of clear evidence that the applicant is capable of successfully completing the program.

To be admitted, each applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited United States institution of higher learning or a degree equivalent to a United States bachelor’s degree from an accredited foreign institution. Any student wishing to receive transfer credit for coursework undertaken at a foreign institution must request a foreign credit evaluation from a Foreign Credential Evaluation Services company approved by either AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc.) or NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc.). Students must contact the company directly, request a detailed report with course level identification which must also be sent directly to the Office of International Education.

Graduate Admissions Requirements

The undergraduate grade point average required for admission is 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Individual programs may have additional requirements.

Admission may be withdrawn if it was granted on the basis of incorrect information or on the omission of relevant facts, which, if known at the time of the admission, would have resulted in denial. In order to complete the application process, applicants must submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions the following documents, unless otherwise indicated by policy:

  • An application for graduate admission (www.park.edu/apply)
  • An application fee (per the Tuition and Fees  page).
  • An official transcript of the bachelor’s degree, sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions by the issuing institution

All documents must be sent to:
Park University
Office of Graduate Admissions
8700 NW River Park Dr., Box #104
Parkville, MO 64152

Types of Admission

Students will be admitted to a graduate program with one of the following statuses:

  1. Full Admission. Applicants who meet all admission requirements and the Graduate Admissions office has received all necessary documents, are granted full admission.
  2. Provisional Admission. Students may be admitted to a program on a provisional basis and their admission status will be classified as “provisional.” The provisional status will be removed when applicants submit test scores or other required documents. Students accepted provisionally must submit complete and satisfactory records before completing 12 credit hours in the graduate program.
  3. Conditional Admission. Students may be admitted to a program on a conditional basis and their admission status will be classified as “conditional.” The conditional status will be removed when applicants complete all prerequisite course requirements for admission into a graduate program, where applicable.
  4. Probationary Admission. In certain exceptional cases, a student who does not meet the minimum grade point average requirement, but who presents other evidence of ability to succeed in a graduate program, may be granted provisional admission by the director of the graduate program in which the applicant is applying, in concurrence with the dean of the college or designee. The probationary status may be removed after the student has demonstrated academic ability by maintaining a “B” average for the first six credit hours of graduate courses, with no grade lower than a “B”.
  5. Non-Degree-Seeking Students. Non-degree status is available to those with a bachelor’s degree who wish to enroll in some graduate courses for their professional advancement, but who do not plan to complete a degree or certificate program. Non-degree-seeking students must have minimum 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale in their bachelor’s work to be considered for admission. Lower GPA’s may be considered on an individual basis by the relevant program director. Applicants who are seeking non-degree status are not required to submit GRE or GMAT test scores. However, if/when they intend to apply these courses to a degree or certificate program, the student must submit a new application and submit the required test scores, if applicable. No more than 12 graduate credits earned in a non-degree status at Park University may be applied to a master’s degree program and no more than six (6) graduate credits earned in a non-degree status at Park University may be applied to a graduate certificate program.
  6. Registered Auditors. Those students who are interested in a particular course, but who are not taking it for a grade may audit the course. Only face-to-face courses may be audited.

Individual programs may have admission status types which vary from the ones listed above. Refer to individual program sections for the respective admission status types.

Change of Graduate Programs at Park University

Students must have satisfactory graduate standing (3.0 or better grade point average) to be eligible to transfer from one Park University graduate program to another Park University graduate program. A student may have no grade lower than a “C” and no more than six (6) hours graded “C” in graduate courses taken at Park University at the time of the transfer. Students must submit a new application and the required test scores, if applicable, to the new graduate program. Additionally, students must provide written notice to the original graduate program of their intent to transfer.

International nonimmigrant students studying on an F-1 visa must notify the Office of International Education (IE) within 14 days of making this change by submitting a Notification of Change of Major/Program Form. Failure to notify IE of the program change will result in the loss of lawful F-1 visa status.

If an international nonimmigrant student on an F-1 visa will not be able to complete their new program by the Program End Date listed on their I-20, they must also request an I-20 Extension from IE. The student must submit the following documentation to IE to request an I-20 Extension:

  1. I-20 Extension Request Form
  2. Proof of Financial Support
    1. If the funds listed in the Proof of Financial Support are not in the name of the student, an Affidavit of Support from the financial sponsor must accompany the Proof of Financial Support and I-20 Extension Request Form.

Park University Undergraduate Seniors

Park University undergraduate seniors, with a 3.6 cumulative grade point average, while still completing their bachelor’s degree, may be permitted to take up to nine (9) graduate credit hours in a non-degree seeking status. These credits will be applied to the appropriate graduate program after the student has received his/her undergraduate degree and has been admitted to a graduate program. Financial Aid will not be available for courses taken as a non-degree seeking student.

International nonimmigrant students studying on an F-1 visa who wish to engage in graduate course work while completing their undergraduate degree must continue to be enrolled in a full undergraduate course of study (at least 12 undergraduate credit hours per semester); any graduate credit hours must be taken in addition to a full undergraduate course load. Failure to maintain full-time undergraduate enrollment will result in the loss of lawful F-1 visa status.

*For information and resources about student loan repayment, or to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit www.wsac.wa.gov/loan-advocacy or contact the Student Loan Advocate at loanadvocate@wsac.wa.gov

4+1 Undergraduate to MBA or MHA Programs

The 4+1 Program allows undergraduate students in business (all majors) with at least 60 undergraduate credit hours and a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale to take graduate coursework in either the MBA or MHA program, which will not only count toward fulfilling their undergraduate degree requirements, but will also count toward the completion of their respective MBA or MHA degree. Qualified students may take up to 12 credit hours (4 courses) from the MBA or MHA curriculum, which will reduce the time necessary to complete their respective graduate degree from two years to as little as one year following the completion of the undergraduate degree. Students must be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours combined of undergraduate and graduate classes each semester that he or she is taking MBA or MHA credits under this option.

4+1 Bachelor to MPA Program

With the approval of the Director of the MPA Program, undergraduate students in public administration who have completed at least 60 credit hours with at least a 3.0 GPA may apply to take up to 12 credit hours of graduate courses towards the MPA. A student electing this option will take the selected courses during their senior year and must be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours total of undergraduate and graduate classes each semester.

International Student Qualifications

Park University welcomes applications for admission from international non-immigrant students from all countries. As a graduate international non-immigrant student, you may apply for graduate study as a first time graduate applicant or as a graduate transfer-in student. You are a transfer student if you have attended a college or university and have earned a bachelor’s degree and are earning credits towards a graduate degree. Most programs at Park University do not require the graduate standard examination such as GMAT.

Admission standards for Graduate International Non-Immigrant Students

The following items must be received by April 1 for Fall Semester admission, or by October 1 for Spring Semester admission, if you are currently outside of the U.S.:

  1. Application for Admission
  2. Application fee (see Tuition and Fees  page)
  3. Submit official copies of academic credentials (including all previous college work) in native language and English translation. A 2.75 (overall) GPA is required for full admission.
  4. Submit proof of English Proficiency in one of the following forms:
    1. A minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 79, with a minimum score of 20 on each section for internet based test or 550 for paper based test (Park University TOEFL code is 6574)
    2. A minimum IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5
    3. Evidence of qualifying for an exemption from the Proof of Language Proficiency Requirement. For more information, contact International Education.

Conditional Admission: Graduate admission to Park University requires the above-noted minimum TOEFL or IELTS score or exemptions. However, prospective students who do not achieve these scores, or who are unable to furnish scores, may be accepted to Park University with the understanding that they will enroll in Park University’s English Language and Culture Institute (ELCI). Students in the ELCI program are considered Park University students, but may not enroll in non-ELCI coursework until successful completion of their English language training.

  1. Submit financial statements - If you hold or intend to seek an F-1 student visa you must provide financial documentation that must be issued within the last 6 months and funds shown must be in liquid assets (readily accessible). Bank statements may be in the country of origin’s currency but must be equal to the required U.S. Dollar amount.
  2. Submit Affidavit of Support Form
    1. The financial affidavit of support must prove your or your sponsor’s willingness to pay for tuition, registration fees, books, and living expenses (if applicable) for the duration of your studies.
  3. Submit color copy of passport
  4. If transferring from a school within the United States, the international student must submit the following:
    1. Copy of visa
    2. Copy of I-94 documentation
    3. Copy of I-20
    4. Transfer Form – this is completed after admission to Park University by both the prospective student and the international advising office at the current school attended.
  5. For information regarding admission standards for international students email international@park.edu or gradschool@park.edu.

International Students: How to Apply

  • Complete Online Application for Admission at www.park.edu
  • Pay non-refundable application fee (refer to Tuition and Fees Table) by credit card or mail your check
  • Submit official transcripts in a sealed envelope
  • Submit TOEFL/IELTS as proof of English Proficiency for “full admission”.
  • Notify Office of International Education at international@park.edu if the applicant is interested in “conditional admission”.
  • Submit Statement of Finances
  • Submit Affidavit of Support form
  • Submit color copy of passport
  • Transfer-In – submit copy of visa, I-94, and I-20, Transfer-In Form
  • Mail your documents and/or application fee check to:
    Office of International Education
    Park University
    8700 NW River Park Dr.
    Parkville, MO 64152

Estimated Cost of Attendance for International Students (F visas) 

Graduate Program (Excluding MBA) Fall Term Spring Term Total
Tuition/Fees $3,210 $3,210 $6,420
Cost of Living $5,000 $5,000 $10,000
Books (estimated) $500 $500 $1,000
Health Insurance $414 $414 $828
Estimated Total $9,124 $9,124 $18,248


MBA Program Fall Term Spring Term Total
Tuition/Fees $3,660 $3,660 $7,320
Cost of Living $5,000 $5,000 $10,000
Books (estimated) $500 $500 $1,000
Health Insurance $414 $414 $828
Estimated Total $9,574 $9,574 $19,148
  • Tuition and fees are subject to change.

New international students are required to pay all costs no later than the ‘confirmation date’ for each term. International students are ineligible for payment plans. All Park University students who fail to pay their tuition and fees prior to the confirmation date will be dropped from all courses for non-payment.

Important Notice for International Applicants

All international non-immigrant applicants must have all required documents, application fee, financial documents, and meet all admission requirements in order for the Office of International Education (IE) to recommend your application for admission into a graduate program. Once a decision is made, Graduate admissions will notify IE office to process the acceptance or denial decision. If you are admitted for graduate study, IE will issue your Form I-20.

Questions regarding Form I-20 and visa issues should be directed to the IE at (816) 584-6820 or international@park.edu. Should you have any questions regarding academic admission requirements, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at (816) 559-5625 or gradadmissions@park.edu.

Insurance for International Students

Enrollment in the Park University sponsored health insurance is mandatory for all F-1 visa holders and their dependents (F-2 visa holders). Government sponsored students (ie: Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission [SACM] sponsored students) whose sponsoring body provides health insurance coverage are exempted from purchasing sponsored insurance through Park University.